Kris Penny might find himself unable to get to his normal routine due to asbestos disease. Sep 24, 2014 was the day he was struck by severe stomach pain which led him to get himself medically diagnosed. After 4 days, he came to know about the worst news in his life that he was infected by peritoneal mesothelioma which is an abdominal cancer and is always caused by exposure to asbestos. It didn’t take long for him to conclude that he had breathed in the small particles of asbestos a decade back during a pipe reconstruction when he worked for AT&T. The pipe had the content of asbestos. Therefore he sued the company.
Penny is not the only one who got this disease due to asbestos. First, the miners got exposed to asbestos while mining. Most of them died. After that, it infected the shipbuilders and other people who worked with asbestos products. Then the conference attendees came to the conclusion that this material will become active again from its sleeping state in different pipes, ceilings and brakes of automobiles and will cause more deaths.
At a New York conference, environmental consultant Barry Castleman emphasized on the consistent danger to American lives which continuously existent asbestos poses.
Although the Environmental Protection Agency has banned some of the asbestos products but there are still large number of products out there. Since 1970s, the consumption of asbestos has been reduced to a large extent but the problem is that life threatening asbestos is still there, posing threat to human lives.
One can imagine the high toxicity of asbestos with the fact that even a very small exposure is enough to develop mesothelioma. The disturbing fact is that about 2700 Americans are diagnosed with this disease every year.
The worst situation, which is normally witnessed, is that workers dealing with asbestos are seen having no protection to combat this exposure just because their bosses want to save money which would have been spent on workers’ protection.
It always is an imminent threat to deal with asbestos until there are steps taken to avoid its infection to the people who deal with it.